Spending March w/ Jesus 3-7-09 "Jesus tells us to Self Evaluate"


Sermon on the Mount

Read Luke 6

6:42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother’s eye.

This is such an important principle to implement into your own life. Its is the principle of "self evaluation." Self Evaluation is what will build strong marriages, strong relationships between kids and their parents, and pretty much all other relationships.

When Beth and I get into arguments, it is important for us to first look at ourselves before taking a stand or pleading a case to the other person. I literally do all that I can to walk away from situations and ask myself the following questions:

1. What did I do against God and the person?
2. How did I sin?
3. What should I have done different?
4. How was I insensitive?
5. How can I react Godly?

The only way to humbly look at these questions and answer them with accurate honesty is to look at Christ and the Gospel. When we have Gospel lenses, we are able to humble ourselves to situations. Through the gospel, we can see our wretched sin and the measure of Gods grace. It allows us to lose all pride and be able to acknowledge who we truly are (sinners by nature) and submit to the authority of Christ.

No comments: