Spending March w/ Jesus 3-24-2009 "Jesus is the most powerful person in the room; watch what he does."


Jesus; the most powerful person in the room.

Read: John 13:1-17 and Matthew 26:17-30

I am a man of influence, whether I want to be or not, I am. God has gifted me with the ability to influence people all around me. My co-workers, my family, my friends, and even some of my leaders have been influenced by me in one way or another.

My father would tell you that most religious leaders in the world today are more interested in their power than their responsibility or calling. To be exact, my dad thinks that most religious leaders couldn’t make it in the real world, were picked on in High School, and the easiest way for them to have influence was to become a priest or pastor of some sort. This is his was of explaining away things like sexual abuse in the church, embezzlement, adultery, and all the other issues that we see happen when the wrong person gains to much power or influence in a religious setting.

Look at this passage. John 13:3-5.

Jesus knows his time is up. The Devil has already convinced Judas to betray Jesus and it's no secret. Jesus, God in the flesh, just has a moment with the Father and now knows the fullness of his power. This is what the scripture says: "Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him."

This is amazing to me. Jesus just realizes all of the power that the Father has given him and what does he do? He doesn’t exercise any of it. Instead he takes on the role of a servant and cleans the most disgusting part of the body: The Feet!

How would I react in that situation? When I recognize that I am the most powerful person in the room, what will my reaction be? Will I exercise my authority or serve those who God has given me? What will I do as a daddy as I realize the power I have; will I lord it over them or lovingly serve them? How about my wife? How about my small group? How about my church one day?

Lord, Help me follow your example and lead as you did; with a servants attitude and heart.

No comments: