Conversation w/ an Agnostic: Part 1 Creator


Over the past week or so I have been having some in depth conversations with a friend of mine who is agnostic. I thought I would add some of my conversation with him because I think that is helpful for all.

I will start first with my logical progression of information which has brought me to where I am today. I will cover Creator, Revelation, Historical Evidence, Prophecy, Manuscripts, Jesus, Personal experience, and personal relationship.

This is Part 1:

Creator:
I assume that you already have read or heard somewhere that the number of atheists are rapidly decreasing http://www.geocities.com/richleebruce/b/atheist.html . As a Christian you need to know that I do not refute science, I refute naturalism. I will agree with people like Lee Strobal, William Dembski, Larry Witham, and many others who think that even scientifically it takes more faith to believe that there is no creator than to believe that there is a creator. To me I struggle to believe that something came of nothing. At no point in the world do we ever look at something and say, that came from nothing, we always assume it came from someone or something. To add to that, the more complicated a design the more intelligent we assume the creator to be. Also, when I have studied about how finely tuned our universe is, along with the fact the human body is also so finely tuned to exist in this environment, it blows my mind. As you already know, the slightest alters in the universe or earth, humans would no longer be able to exist. The other thing that totally confuses me is the fact that people believe that matter can turn to mind. In other words, how can matter turn into a brain that works, thinks, learns, etc. I am sure that there are many arguments against that but to me and my education level, it is hard to get beyond that. A reference for you is Lee Strobal's, The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence. This was very helpful for me in forming my beliefs in God as Creator.

Here are some quotes to support what I believe as far as a creator is concerned.
1. The most amazing thing to me is existence itself. How is it that inanimate matter can organize itself to contemplate itself? Can a person be a scientist and a Christian? Yes. As I said before, the world is too complicated in all its parts and interconnections to be due to chance alone. God is the explanation for the miracle of existence.- Allan Sandage, cosmologist and Nobel Prize winner
2. Beer is proof alone that God exists and wants us to be happy. Matt Chewning, a nobody. haha

No comments: