Thanksgiving 1 Corinthians 1:4-9

1 Corinthians 1:4-9
I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. For in him you have been enriched in every way—in all your speaking and in all your knowledge— because our testimony about Christ was confirmed in you. Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.

If we know anything about the church of Corinth it is that they were probably the most dysfunctional church in all of the NT. This was definitely not Paul's prize church. This church was very different than the Philippians or the Thessalonians. The Corinthians had issues. Division, lawsuits, false doctrine, bad theology, Idols, Marriage issues, they didn't pay their pastors, took advantage of their spiritual gifts, and had some real confusion about the body, sex, worship, love, the church and mostly...Jesus.

With all of the correction that Paul gives in this letter to the Corinth Church, how does he start this letter out with such confidence in them and with such thanksgiving for them? To me this makes no sense.

Paul saw something that we often miss. Paul realized that God had called them into fellowship with Jesus Christ and he is Faithful. Faithful to continue the good work in their lives, faithful to carry them through until the end, faithful to offer them to the Father as holy and blameless and guiltless. God is faithful to those in which he calls.

Today I was overwhelmed with the Grace of God who has been so faithful to me and my family. Why would he have chosen me? Why has the God of the universe called me? Why has he redeemed me and summoned me by name and calls me "His" (Isaiah 43:1)? Why did he choose to give me the gift of regeneration and transformation when so many others have not and will not receive it? Why? Today I was literally brought to tears in my car thinking about this. To think that in the mist of the business of life, if you slow down and look you can see God at work everywhere.

Today I reflected in my car how God is at work in my family. I thought today how God is at work at my job. I thought today how God was at work in my ministry. I stopped today and reflected that even though it seems at times I am a terrible witness of Jesus Christ, God is at work in my influence. I just stopped today and prayed....not for things, but with Thanksgiving. It was powerful!

Today I stopped like Paul did on the day that he put that pen to that paper and wrote "I always thank God". Why? "Because he has called me into fellowship with Jesus and he is faithful." Just look around and remember, He is faithful. The bible is clear, I did not choose God, instead God choose me, and he is so faithful.

No comments: