Mentored By Many, Saved by One

Last night Frank and I drove 3 1/2 hours to Wilmington for a 2 hour banquet and then drove all the way back to Greensboro. Dr. Bennett was having his banquet for his mentoring men ministry. My initial reaction to going all of the way out there for 2 hours was probably not what it should have been. But when I was there, God really showed me something.

I have had such an unusual opportunity to have people in my life who have literally come along side of me to walk me through many different parts of my life. I can think specifically of men who were there for me in my marriage, ministry, accountability, parenting, early stages of my faith, etc. It is awesome to think back about how God has placed men in my life and how further along I am because of their influence. In the midst of realizing all of this, i realized that I have not yet intentionally taken anyone under my wing. One gentleman said yesterday that "no matter where you are in your walk, there is always someone behind you". That basically means that everyone is qualified to mentor someone or lead someone.

If you are a Christian, you are called to do this. You are called to invest your life in someone who God places in your life. This was the example of Jesus and every single one of his disciples. If that isn't enough, listen to the words of Paul in 1 Thes 2:8 "We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us."

Here are the questions I am asking myself and I will pose them to you as well.
1. Who has God given you but you have not yet submitted yourself to investing in them?
2. Why is it not of major importance for you to invest in someone 1 on 1?
3. What will you do to take a 1st step at investing in someone who is behind you?

Lastly, if you want to grow as a christian or person, get a mentor.

Thank you Frank Bishoff, Allen Holmes, Dr Bill Bennett, Dan Byrd, Steve Shomo, Scott Stone, John Austin, Ricky Grant, Kevin Roach, Andre Benson, Cliff Hersey, Adrian Morales, AZ and his kid brother Dan. Thank you all because at one point in my life, I was that kid that God placed in your lap and you were as faithful as you knew how to be.

Lastly, Thank you Beth for putting up with me through all these years. You have had a greater influence on my life than all of those men combined. Second only to Jesus. You'll always be my soul mate, my angel from heaven, my first gift from God.

Thank you. Matt

No comments: