Appalled and Flabbergasted !!

My mother went on my blog last week and saw where I wrote about a wife submitting and obeying her husband. Her response to me was that she was “Appalled that I would ever think that a women should submit to her husband and that she raised me much better than that” It is so funny how both Christians and non-Christians have such a hard time with this. When I explained to my mom what it means to submit as a wife and how a husband has the harder job, as he is to totally lay down his wants, his needs, his feelings and his life, she was a little more understanding of what it means when God tells a women to submit to her husband.

With that being said, I would like to quote Ephesians 5:21 which is the verse right before “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” In verse 21, it says, “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ” This is clearly stating that a husband should also submit to his wife. Then Paul clarifies that even tough both a husband and wife should submit to one another, it is important that the family has a leader as the head of the home. If you look at the structure of any well functioning organization, whether it is a church, military design, McDonalds, law office, police department, or a fortune 500 company, you will see the same thing. All of those organizations have a chain of commands or a structured line of authority. The line of authority has nothing to do with value or importance; it is just that this structure gives functioning organization the best possible opportunity to be successful and prosperous. To be honest, Beth is much more valuable and important to my family than I am. (Especially now that I have $1 million in life insurance) She is the one who takes care of our children, keeps the house in order, takes care of me; she is the link that keeps our family together.

One last thing to note is that if I want to make it easy for my wife to submit to my leadership, than I need to be a servant leader. The problem that the world has with submitting to husbands is that the typical husband is viewed as being a macho, chauvinist, Napoleon complex, little man syndrome, insensitive, my way or the highway, over powering, hole punching, nympho maniac. But when you view that to what a Christian husband should be; loving, compassionate, selfless, serving, God fearing, Christ pursuing, sensitive, a man who doesn’t get angry or pushy, a man who doesn’t raise his voice, a man who listens to his wife, supports his wife, and try’s to do all that he can so that she can be everything that God wants her to be.

Would that man really be hard to submit to? I’ll let you answer that.

Love you momma, Matt

No comments: