Being a Missionary at Work.
Since the day I realized the that Jesus calls me a missionary in the context in which I work, I have seen ministry completely different. No longer is missions something I have to do overseas or along side of my church, but rather it is who I am in Christ all day everyday. The problem is that for years I was attempting to climb the corporate ladder and the thought of reaching my co-workers was terrifying. Today, I want to encourage us that this is possible. We can actually love our co-workers and reach them with the gospel, if we are intentional. Here are some ways that we can pursue it.....
1. Don't eat alone, intentionally eat with other co-workers and learn their story.
2. Get to work early so you can pray for your co-workers and the day.
3. Make it a daily priority to speak or write encouragement to one person.
4. Bring extra snacks when you make your lunch to give away to others.
5. Bring breakfast once a month for everyone in your department.
6. Organize a running/walking group in the before or after work.
7. Have your community group provide lunch for your workplace once a month.
8. Create a regular time to invite coworkers over or out for drinks.
9. Make a list of birthdays and find a way to bless everyone on their birthday.
10. Organize office parties as appropriate to your job.
11. Avoid gossip in the office. Be a voice of thanksgiving not complaining.
12. Car pool if there is someone who lives close to you.
13. Throw a shower for a co-worker who is having a baby.
14. Cover for a co-worker who needs off for something.
15. Start a lunch out with co-workers (don’t be selective on the invites).
16. Organize a weekly/monthly pot luck to make lunch a bit more exciting.
17. Ask someone if you can grab them a soda/coffee while you’re out.
18. Be the first person to greet and welcome new people.
19. Make every effort to know the names of people and their families.
20. Visit coworkers when they are in the hospital.
21. Have your community group fill a break room for coworkers to enjoy.
22. Go out of your way to talk to people who typically are overlook.
23. Double-Date with other couples after work for happy hour.
24. Invite your co-workers in to the service projects you are already involved in.
25. Keep small candy, gum, or little snacks around to offer to others during a long day.
26. Finds ways to get your co-workers to mingle with friends from church?
27. Remember, 90% of the people you are friends with would visit your church if you invited them.
Thanks Josh Reeves for some of the ideas.